Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Note from James

My roommate and I have been going through the book of James recently, we aren't moving very fast so we are at the beginning. I thought I would share some of the verses which have been helpful to me recently, with a slight twist on them. Now don't worry, I am not going to massacre the Word, I am just going to switch the examples from men to women.
(James 1:2)
Consider pure joy, my sisters whenever you face trails of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4 Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5 If any of you lack wisdom, she should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault. 13When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by her own evil desire, she is dragged away and enticed. 19 My dear sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. 22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 26 If anyone considers herself religious and yet does not keep a tight reign on her tongue, she deceives herself and her religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

There is so much in James that I can comment on. I will only touch upon a few though. I realize that is hard to be happy when things are hard. I can admit freely that this weekend was not easy for me, and I may have been enraged at God. I was very rude in my prayers, in the sense that I screamed out my frustration and anger. I read this on Sunday night, and i am feeling better. Nothing has changed except my own attitude. My own actions haven't even changed! I am just persevering and trying to have a positive outlook. It's not easy, but it is better for me.
Also: James 1:26 is just always applicable to me. I have the unfortunate habit of being sassy to the point of cruel sarcasm. Yes, you shouldn't say mean things. Obviously. I feel like this extends into general covnersations too. It is easy to gossip, or complain about other people, to talk about them behind their backs. We should hold tight to our tongues in those cases too.

Just some thoughts.
-H

1 comment:

  1. Wow hannah! This is an amazing post. Thank you for sharing these verses! I'm super blessed by your love for God. This has been an encouragement and challenge to me. Ever since we talked about keeping a reign on our tongues, it's been on my mind a lot. Thank you

    ReplyDelete